Feb 1999 - Present
Cyber Communication, Inc., (President / Consultant)
- Recently completed a Disaster Recovery Plan (DRP) for Department of Health Care Services Office of Systems Integration (OSI).
- Project manager and technical Disaster Recovery SME (Subject Matter Expert) for a State of California Disaster Recovery Project (CalPERS) recommending a $43 million hotsite solution for this $230 billion organization.
- Involved in HIPAA assessments, including HIPAA Security Policy & Procedures reviews, for Tuolumne County and Partnership Health Plan.
- Developed risk analysis and business impact assessments for state, medical and financial institutions including: Department of Justice, The Charleston Area Medical Center, Aptium Oncology, Granite Community Bank, Bank of Butterfield and San Mateo Credit Union.
- Assisted in the development of business continuity and IT disaster recovery plans for financial organizations, including Toyota Motor Sales and Toyota Financial Services through Disaster Survival Planning Network (DSPN).
- Developed project management work products, created business web pages, various deliverables, metrics reports, custom graphic slides, charts, and databases for clients including Kaiser Permanente, Hewlett Packard, Citicorp, GTE, 3Com, Agilent Technologies, Interactive Web Concepts, Bay Life Church, Heritage Church, and Newport Pacific Capital Corporation.
- Trained staff and customers on Microsoft products and web development.
- Developed customer base, handled entire sales cycle, determined customer requirements and translated them to product.
- Administered a corporation (including: work plans, taxes, licenses, payroll, etc.)
Sep - Dec 2004 & Aug - Oct 2005
Kaiser Permanente Office of Information Management (Contractor)
- Designed and developed a database and data extraction process for mainframe laboratory and radiological information porting into a client/server database. Strict compliance to HIPAA standards was necessary as the data contained ePHI.
- Developed the Kaiser Permanente HealthConnect database, which maintains information for over 7000 individuals, including ensuring HIPAA compliance in accordance with Kaiser Permanente standards, and trained the users.
- Utilized “as is” analysis at Kaiser Permanente to understand and document a process which was originally done in Excel. Through Business Process Reengineering they were able to reduce the time from four days to 2 ½ hours.
- Contributed to the HealthConnect reengineering process that is an effort to change Kaiser Permanente’s current patient paper-driven system to a paperless system.
- Conducted live, on-line training to physicians for new software that they were required to be familiar with. Worked with physicians who had very diverse knowledge and comfort levels with computers and effectively trained and communicated with the different levels of ability.
- Ensured the security (confidentiality, integrity and availability) of the information stored in the databases and prepared both functional specification and system design documentation.
- Validated the business needs of the department were satisfactorily met by the work product.
Oct 2003 – Feb 2004
Kaiser Permanente Emergency Dept Training Program (Contractor)
- Involved in training physicians and nurses, as well as other medical personnel, in order to ensure compliance with federal and state requirements, including HIPAA requirements, and to ensure that policies and procedures were being followed.
- Maintained the Emergency Department Training Program, which was essential in order to ensure compliance with federal and state requirements, including HIPAA requirements.
- Succeeded in creating systems that increased the confidentiality, availability and integrity of information. Received special recognition from the ER Chief of Staff for exemplary contributions to the project.
- Contributed to Business Process Review which involved a gap analysis of the current operations of the department with future business needs in order to determine required changes in system requirements.
- Worked directly with the staff in order to develop the most effective manner to properly define their needs and to incorporate changes to enhance the current business practices.
- Facilitated problem resolution, which required working directly with the management as well as staff members.
- Responsible for ensuring proper training for new staff members.
Feb 2003 –Feb 2006
Newport Pacific Capital Company (Intermittent Contractor)
- Utilized Business Process Reengineering in order to enhance the current network and informational systems within this investment conglomerate.
- Defined user requirements in order to make enhancements to the current system. This required determining the functionality of the current system, comparing the results of the analysis to the requested needs and developing appropriate actions to be taken to make the systems more functional and efficient.
- Utilized Business Process Review and Change Management in the process of analyzing current system methods and customized several software package programs in order to meet the needs and requirements of the client.
- Developed an education plan and training requirements and trained staff on new software processes.
- Established a Statement of Work, work breakdown structure and project plan to define and meet management’s project expectations.
- Various interim deliverables were provided to management to track progress and audit performance to the project budget.
- Upgraded Newport’s network infrastructure, ensured security compliance, performed system testing, and conducted security awareness training for users.
- Gathered and analyzed existing documentation in order to assess and maintain compliance to governmental regulations.
- Documented proposed system change requirements for user approval.
- Facilitated project staff review to ensure that all of the business objectives were satisfactorily met.
Oct 1995 – Jan 1999
Citicorp Services (now Citigroup)
- Utilized Business Process Reengineering and Change Management while a major contributor to a complete computer infrastructure upgrade and training project.
- Developed an education plan which included skills assessment and training as staff was migrating from a mainframe system to a Windows client/server environment.
- Project lead for a new travelers cheque process, utilizing Change Management processes in order to install financial software and conduct training in the US and several Latin American countries where I traveled unaccompanied.
- Conducted business analysis and the development of IT security plans.
- Contributed to programming and system test of new equipment required to build a secure infrastructures for network and computing platforms.
- Designed and implemented custom databases, advanced spreadsheet reports, graphs, flowcharts, and forms which required in-depth documentation and training.
- Project managed a complex Change Management system for working with remote programmers designing software in Japan and elsewhere.
Nov 1994 – May 1995
Department of Defense Dependent Schools, Panama
- Created reports and computer templates for special education programs.
- Howard Child Development Programs, Panama Mar 1994 – Oct 1994
- Operated this federally-supported center, engaged in training development activities for staff, monitored and managed staff, ascertained that health standards were being met, and developed children’s program activities.
- Army Child Development Services, Panama Jul 1992 – Mar 1994
- Produced monthly newsletter and maintained database files for this program.
- Received Outstanding Customer Service Award.
May 1987 – Apr 1991
Boston University, Germany
- Utilized Business Process Review and Change Management in order to increase the University’s growth by 90% in enrollment at the University’s overseas military base.
- Compiled financial and logistics reports for review by University and U.S. Government.
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
- Certified Business Continuity Planner (CBCP). Business continuity planning experience includes completing risk and gap analysis reports, business impact assessments, business continuity plans, and disaster recovery plans. Clients have included the Department of Health Care Services Office of Systems Integration (OSI), Toyota Motor Sales, Toyota Financial Services, Vulcan Inc., Patagonia, Sony Pictures, the Charleston Area Medical Center, and Aptium Oncology. Recently completed a Department of Homeland Security course including emergency threat and risk recognition.
- Masters Certification in Information Security (MCIS). Network and security assessment experience for clients including the Department of Justice Peace Officers Standards and Training (POST), Granite Community Bank, and the Bank of Butterfield. Recently passed the exam for the Certified Information Security Auditor (CISA) and certification of work experience is pending.
- Significant Federal, California State and County experience. Engaged in various projects for the Department of Defense Dependent Schools (DODDS), OSI, POST, California Public Employees’ Retirement System (CalPERS), Delta Dental, Tuolumne County, and Calaveras County.
- Certified Project Management Professional (PMP). Results-oriented PMP with strong organizational skills and an ability to deliver projects on time, managing obstacles and meeting customers expectations. Project management experience includes producing weekly and monthly project status reports, delegation of responsibilities, risk and issue identification, and communicating with stakeholders.
- GIAC HIPAA Security certified with knowledge of Federal and State health information privacy laws. Consultation with healthcare organizations includes Kaiser Permanente’s Emergency Department Training Program, Partnership Health Plan, the Charleston Area Medical Center, Aptium Oncology, and Delta Dental.
- Database design experience. Developed a data extraction process for porting mainframe data into a client/server database with strict compliance to HIPAA standards. Also created Kaiser Permanente’s HealthConnect Database and Citicorp’s Travellers Cheques Database.
- Information technology (IT) experience. Experience includes web design, systems design, and programming for clients such as Kaiser Permanente’s Office of Information Management, Citicorp’s IT department, Hewlett Packard, GTE, 3Com, and Agilent Technologies.
- Business Process Reengineering (BPR) and Change Management experience. BPR experience for 20 years. Project Lead for a Citicorp traveler’s check process, utilizing Change Management processes, installing financial software and conducting training internationally.
- Masters of Education with experience teaching university level courses. Also significant experience in designing and instructing IT courses for individuals with varying degrees of experience.
University of Oklahoma, Norman, OK, 1993
Master of Education
San Jose State University, San Jose, CA, 1986
Bachelor of Science in Business Administration. Minor: Cybernetics (Control of Systems)
- Recipient of Alpha Al Sirat Award (chosen as the outstanding senior in Business Administration)
Certifications from: Masters Certification in Information Security (MCIS), Certified Project Management Professional (PMP), SANS - GIAC HIPAA Security Certification (GHSC), Certified Business Continuity Professional (CBCP), SANS certification in Network Penetration Testing and Ethical Hacking.
- Treasurer for ISSA-SAC (Information Systems Security Administration, Sacramento)
- Treasurer and co-founder of Information Systems Training Lab, Sacramento
- Member and past officer for PMI-SVC (Project Mgmt Institute, Sacramento Chapter) Member of ASAP (Association of Sacramento Area Planners)